Saturday, November 2, 2013

Bolivian Altiplano Day 2

Good morning Bolivia.

I woke up this morning feeling I'd just got off a long haul flight.  Low air pressure, dry air, I woke up feeling like I had a hang over but actually not too bad.  It took a couple of hours to get up to speed and a bunch of water but off we go.


First stop was some pyroclastic stones that had been spat out by this volcano, unfortunately I'd been messing around with the settings on my camera so I didn't realise until too late that I'd overexposed a bunch of the pictures.  Here's a couple that came out ok.



After this it was a bunch of lagunas throughout the altiplano.  Very pretty, similar to the first ones we saw.




and loads of flamingoes

After that it was lunchtime, and we weren't suffering.


From there to one more laguna with a great view of the volcano.


And some running repairs on one of the cars.....


This has been a recurring theme.  In this case the passenger door window wouldn't close so they were hotwiring the motor using the battery from the other car.

Then onto an active volcano, the thing you have to keep reminding yourself that you're 4500m above sea level.


From here onto a small salt plain, with a train line which brings the salt from Uyuni to San Cristobal, it is dead straight.


I didn't hear anything coming.  :o)

And then the Salt hotel, an entire hotel built primarily out of salt.  Pretty cool.




And here's the rest of the group!


And tomorrow it's the main event, the Uyuni Salt Flat!


No comments:

Post a Comment