Sunday, November 17, 2013

Ushuaia - The End of the World

I have now made it as far south as I will likely ever be, unless I decide to go to Antartica.  This is the southern tip of Argentina and is only 700 miles or so from the Antartic.  I feel like I should be trying to figure out the equivalent in the northern hemisphere so I can really claim to have been tone four corners of the world :o)



Anyway, it's beautiful down here, a little cold, and the weather can change quickly but the Andes mountains come down here and then do a turn so that instead of running north-south they run east-west.



Today was some hiking followed by some canoeing out in the bay.  The weather wasn't the greatest and the going was slow.  Not because of the weather but because of the Belgian couple who had signed up for the trip.  Now, I don't have anything against people wanting to see things and push themselves but sometimes you need to be realistic.  The woman had suffered a brain tumor several years ago and had real trouble with her balance, not to mention that she was on blood thinners so if she fell it was going to be real trouble.  The paths through a national park are not the smoothest and it was pretty slippery - guess who fell over, yup, down I went again - so we had to go really slowly and help her over the rocks and up and down the steep sections.  I think it probably took an extra hour over what it should have done.  Oh well......  It was some really nice scenery and no one got hurt so let's move on.



By the time we got back to Ushuaia it had decided to hammer it down with rain so I did the sensible thing and went to the pub!  Tomorrow is a boat trip out into the beagle channel, should be interesting.




No comments:

Post a Comment