Friday, November 15, 2013

The Iceman Cometh!

First words when I mentioned to someone I was doing the 'Big Ice' trek.......  "Hopefully it won't be windy".  They never mentioned about the snow!!!

I thought I heard rain against the window the night before but didn't think anything of it until I realised that someone had been playing with the black and white filter on the mountains as we were driving to the boat.


So, yes it was cold, it was snowing, and it was windy. Perfect day for hiking on a glacier!  Cue my invisible man impersonation.


However, even with how cold it was I started to overheat so that didn't last too long :o)

Anyway, about an hour hike up to the starting point where you get a harness and crampons.  



Serious stuff.  After those were on it was out onto the ice, now unfortunately if I put my lens cap on my lens fogged up, if I left it off it got covered in snow and then melted so some of the shots didn't come out quite as I would have hoped.  However, there were some worth showing.





It was cold, it was wet but it was fun.  It felt almost right to be doing this in the snow.  When it obscured all the mountains so all you could see was glacier it really felt like a proper survival type trek (although it was only three hours, but........).  

Anyway, at the end I did have time to pose for a statue.


It's amazing how quickly you can chisel with ice picks!

And on the boat ride back, a glass of whiskey and a cookie - awesome!














No comments:

Post a Comment