Saturday, October 19, 2013

Laundry time.

I'm a week in now and so far haven't done any laundry.  This may prove to be something of a mistake as I'm pretty much down to my last set of clean clothes, and when I use the term clean it is in a loose sense as that simply means they are not capable of standing up on their own, yet.

So I managed to wrestle the last few items into a laundry bag (it put up quite a fight I can tell you!) and off I tottered to find a laundry, it was shut.  Little bit disappointed as now I've got to get the hotel to do it and I was looking forward to figuring out if I would be able to navigate my way through the negotiation to get it done on my own without too much complication.  Robbed of that experience but never mind, now the hotel can try wrestling with my by now quite feisty clothing to try and get it in the washing machine.  Good luck to them, without breathing apparatus they may not make it!

Which brings me to the point.  When I was at home the laundry basket would fill up once a week, I had plenty of spare everything so if it was hot out and I needed to change, no big deal.  Now, in a continuously hot and humid country, doing stupid things like hiking up volcanoes and riding around lakes on bikes I am managing to make a shirt stretch into a number of days that would not normally be reasonable,  for example, the storm coming down the volcano counted as washing the shirt I was wearing, right?  Well it did, ok.  When you're stripping down your clothing options, it's amazing how much you will tolerate, and hopefully those around you will tolerate, or at least be polite enough not to point it out to you.

Anyway, laundry being done, a brand new shirt for me to sweat into tomorrow.  Hopefully I'll have enough now to get me through Panama and into Chile, Panama is not a cheap place so it'll be good to get through relatively unharmed financially.

2 comments: