Monday, October 28, 2013

Life at altitude

Right now, as I've said I'm at about 7800 feet above sea level.  This is right around where altitude sickness kicks in and I have to admit I am feeling it a little.  A little disorientated, a little nauseous, it feels just like a hangover which is what a lot of people report it as.

Fortunately I have a couple of days here to adapt before going higher but I'm going to have to watch myself I know it.  Have to make sure I'm taking on plenty of fluids, it's so dry up here you can dehydrate very quickly, apparently lots of carbs as well, I guess your body starts to work harder to make up for the low oxygen levels.

Either way, I'm fine, I guess, but having been relatively dismissive of altitude sickness and that I could tough it out I'm starting to realise this isn't something to be taken lightly!  I have rest until 4pm today and I'm definitely going to be taking it easy apart for a couple of errands I need to run.

For now, deep breaths everybody :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment