Wednesday, October 16, 2013

San Juan Del Sur

Ok,
So a little bit of a schedule shuffle.  Nothing too major, but I decided to cut down my time in San Juan del Sur pretty significantly and boy did I make the right decision.  I'm sure it might be more alive during the peak season (November - February) but right now it's pretty dead.  The beach is nice enough but not golden sand by any stretch of the imagination, I've seen better in Brighton and definitely in Scarborough, but then again the north of England is where all the best stuff is!

This definitely has the feel of a wannabe party town, it just lacks a little bit of joie de vivre, not to mention, for about 4 hours, electricity!  Most of the bars have generators so it's not a big deal but even still it's kind of strange wandering back to the hotel through dark streets, even if it's a short walk.  Ultimately I think I may be a little jaded on places like this, especially when it's just me.  There's not a lot of fun in these places when they're out of season and you're on your own.  It's also struggling to decide for itself whether it's a fishing village or tourist party town and I don't think it's quite given up the  fishing village just yet.  Having said that I wouldn't be surprised in ten years to find a Hilton, Marriott and some other chain resort sitting right by the beach.  I hope I'm wrong.

So it's back to Granada today, and try to get together with tour groups that are going out to some volcanoes and park areas around there.  Hopefully I won't fall down any of those but you never know......

Actually had a fun conversation with some Costa Ricans coming out here, when they got on the bus one of them was kinda loud and sitting right next to me - joy!  Anyway, most of it was flying around in Spanish but then we got talking in English and got into all sorts of things including football, how the countryside in Nicaragua is different to Costa Rica and all manner of other stuff.  One is an architect, and part time sushi chef, traveling with her husband /boyfriend (couldn't quite figure it out they kept interchanging the words), he is a machinist as well as an expert chef in San Jose and his sister who is a chef out on the pacific coastline.  Apparently there is a perfect way to cook eggs sunny side up, she didn't tell me what it was but apparently there is one.  And they probably all went to bed happy after Costa Rica beat Mexico in the World Cup qualifiers last night.

Anyway, one thing San Juan del Sur does have which I'm glad I've seen is a stunning Pacific sunset........

No comments:

Post a Comment