Sunday, October 27, 2013

Putting the world to rights - part 1

This is a delayed post from two days ago, just so you know :o)

Ok, so I don't known what part two will be yet but anyway.......

When did people's mobile phones become their be all and end all?  It is on the verge of completely killing a social innovation called "meeting people"!  Ok, so I've only been in Santiago for less than a day but I see the same trends as in many other places in the uk and the us.  People, apparently on their own, glued to their phone screens.  Now don't get me wrong, the level of Spanish I speak is way below that of a 4 year old so conversation will be difficult if they don't speak any English, but even still, having seen this in bars across the US, and having done it myself, put the screens away!!!!

I honestly think that traveling as a solo person was easier 30, 20, even 5 years ago.  You didn't have the distraction of a screen and people actually wanted to go out and talk to people.  Now you can't get near anyone because they're using their phones to update their Facebook status about how much fun they are having sitting in a bar ignoring the world around them!

Ok, so this sounds like and old man rant ( and it might be) but seriously, how many people have you not met or talked to because your head was buried in your phone?  I know my list probably gets close to a thousand when I consider the times in Asia where I took calls or read emails and such like. 

I find it disappointing, but that's the way the world works I guess.  Don't get me wrong. I've been as guilty as everyone else for doing stuff like this but it is all the more apparent to me as I travel alone through these different places.  I don't know that once people were falling over each other to introduce themselves, but now people are checking their email.

Something to think about - especially after you've had something equivalent to a full bottle of wine!

No comments:

Post a Comment