Monday, October 21, 2013

Nicaragua - the end of 10 days

I want to dedicate this post to a wonderful little country.  Lots of friendly people I couldn't talk to, good beer, warm weather, not too many tourists and stunning countryside.  So let's break this down......

Leon
Incredibly hot (temperature before anyone gets the wrong idea), real fierce baking heat.  Some good food and a fierce, smoldering volcano.  Oh, and weather that tried to kill me.  Some good times there, particularly climbing Telica, the challenge (both up and down) and finally a little bit of company if only for a few hours.  Not to mention the smile the Aussie got when the driver's iPod started playing 'Down Under' by Men at Work.  Awesome!  Followed, thankfully, by a day to dry everything out.  
Not too much happening in town though.
Grade - B

San Juan del Sur
Maybe the party town of Nicaragua in the peak season, but out of season it's dead!  Bars didn't feel too social and there just wasn't too much going on.  Room was dark with no airflow which really hit home when the power went out.  However it was where I bought my first book of this trip so credit on that one.  
Beach was so so, dark sand, pretty little bay, the sunset was stunning!  
Grade - C+

Granada
Really nice little town and where I spent the majority of my time.  Some beautiful scenery, more tourists than anywhere else - people to talk to!  And a good selection of restaurants/bars.  I could see this being a great place to stay in peak season.
Oh, and a steakhouse that rivals El Tenedor in Puerto Rico for its churrasco.  Absolutely superb, I could eaten two it was so tender.
Grade - B+

Overall
A lovely place to visit, I maybe had two more days than I needed, and was probably a little too planned about where I was going when, some flexibility would gave been nice, but that has given me time for laundry and some more relaxed contemplation.
Grade - B

This is the standard for everything else to come so I may have graded too high, we'll have to see.  Just in case, how many +'s are reasonable to put after an A?

No comments:

Post a Comment